Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique trunk

Question
trunk
trunk  

trunk inside
trunk inside  
Hello, Mr. Miller,
I got your information from someone I know in the city we live in.  I have an antique trunk and wondering how much it might be worth.  One of the side handles is gone.  I have attached pictures.  Also, do you have any advice on how to sell it?

Thank you so much.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Greg and Karen

Answer
Greg and Karen,

Your trunk made by John T. Barnum is a style that's a little harder to find than the average flat top trunk.  The beveled corners on the top make it a little more unusual than many and also a little more valuable. (One trunk maker's catalog from 1885 called this style a flat top with octagon corners on top). This trunk is from about 1885 to 1900.  It's in good restorable condition and it helps that you have the original interior tray and the label inside. Other positive features are that it's flat top, it appears to be canvas covered, a good size, and with all the original hardware. The broken lock can be repaired so that's not really a big problem. Many people like the flat trunks such as this to use as a table top and the canvas trunks are often stripped and the wood refinished, so many people prefer those to the metal covered trunks. I estimate the current retail value of this trunk to be in the range of about $175 to $250 in most areas. Prices would typically be less at auctions, flea markets, or yard sales. The value would be higher if it were in better overall condition.  
Marvin Miller  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller