Collectibles-General (Antiques)/bally e/m

Question
QUESTION: Hi Roger, I found the problem with the tilt light..it was the 5 amp fuse..all was well until it hit the 3 bar jackpot/300 coin..it stops at 240 coins and blows the fuse..then I accidently put a 10 amp fuse in and I cooked the transformer..do you have a source for one of these?  part # e-122-105..thank you in advance for all your help..also, do you have any idea why it would quit paying on 240 coins? and blowing the fuse..the hopper still has plenty of coin when this happens.

ANSWER: Hi Jim,

I was wondering how you did here on this machine so thanks for the update. Sounds to me like you might have a bad hopper motor, pulling too many amps and blowing the fuse out maybe. Did it just blow out once at the 240 mark, or has this happen before at just the 240 mark? This is a shame to see a electro/mechanical transformer go up in smoke as they are getting very scarce and getting expensive. I have seen a few hopper motors with burned motor armatures cause a lot of this fuse blowing on payouts on the later Bally E series machines but they use the same motors I think, and changing the hopper motors on them usually fixes this problem. Is this a large coin machine or a small coin machine, the large coin machine like 50 cents or a dollar coin, the hopper takes a larger motor, it's a longer motor for the large coin and smaller for the small coin 5-10-25 size. I'll check to see if I can find a transformer but I am not so sure I have one of those E/M transformers, but I do have a few hopper motors so you might take a look at the hopper motors armature and see if it is been hot, and shows sign's of being hot burnt and black.
Thank You
Rodger Knutson
Http://www.coinslots.com  

QUESTION: Thanks roger, it has consistintly 3-4 times stopped exactly at 240 and its a quarter machine..the hopper motor seems fine til we get the higher jackpot..it has paid 150 coins repeatly and it hits jackpots quite often..

ANSWER: The only thing I can think of right now is possibly that the hoppers Spiro cam spring has too much tension on it, this returns the Spiro cam to it's rest stop, if there is too much tension on it at rest, this could prevent it from going any further then 240 notches, and another possibility is you could have a burn mark in the trace for the 200 coin payout and this could also cut the circuit to the hopper motor stopping the payout. So I would check the hopper payout board closely for any burn marks, this is the board on the hopper that the Spiro cam and the Spiro cam wiper uses to step up one notch for each coin paid out.
Thank You
Rodger

QUESTION: thank you Roger..i will check that and get back to you...

Answer
You can hand step that hoppers Spiro cam wiper and see if it will step up to 300 coins or more which would be about three full turns around, the 100 and 200 coin contacts will be at the right hand bottom and the 200 is at the right hand top I think, you will see the silver trace with two contacts that ride across it, if you see 200 on the one at the top, that is you 200 coin trace. After 200 steps the contacts should leave that trace and then use the 100 coin trace to finish the payout. If you can't step the Spiro cam by had 300 times then your Spiro cam spring could be set too tight and cause a problem there. Study this operation a bit, and then you should be able to determine why your payout stops short of the 300 coins it should be paying.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson