Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bedroom Set

Question
1930s bedroom set
1930s bedroom set  

1930s dresser
1930s dresser  
Hi. We get confused at times at auctions with the term "Art Deco". Sometimes people advertise the waterfall style as Art Deco, and other times not. Could you please help define Art Deco, and what would these pieces be considered (style/age, etc). We obtained this set - dresser, chest, vanity, bench, nightstand, chair and 2 twin beds at an auction. Were there any other pieces to the "original set"? Any idea of the value of this set in good/very good condition?
Thanks so much.

Answer
art deco as a definition is elusive.  you will have to look at many pictures for qualified sources.  auctioneers are notorious for attaching grand terms to all items to further their prime directive, 'sell for more'.  not all are this way, but also, most auctioneers are not as well versed in differentiating between colonial revival, hepplewhite, chippendale, adams, art deco, art nouveau and other styles as they should be.

that being said, this is not art deco but some of the decoration could be called art deco influenced.

This is colonial revival made in the 1920s.  condition is not bad but there are some areas that need some attention.

sounds like you bought the whole set.. what did you pay??

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein