Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Ceramic/pottery platter

Top view
Top view  

Hi Dennis

My Mom has a ceramic platter in beige with blue pattern detail inside, on the top side of the lip and underneath the lip.  We cannot make out the manufacturers stamp underneath. As memory serves, the piece could be 250-300 years old, but really not too sure.  Winder of you have any insight into its value and origins? It is flawless, no chips, cracks and the paint work still in good condition, probably hand-painted. Many thanks and take care.

Kind regards

Thanks for the question.  The piece you've sent me a photo of is a piece called "Ironstone" with a blue transferware pattern, which was applied and not hand-painted.  Ironstone was generally made in England in the 1800's, most likely in your case, the mid-to-late 1800's.  I would place the value in the $175 - $250 range given the size and the excellent condition.  To an advanced collector, the actual value might be higher than I've targeted, but it's certainly somewhere in that ballpark.

Thanks again.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach

I endeavor to answer all questions relating to the "identification" of American Art Pottery from the period of roughly 1880 through 1920. I specialize in the area of arts & crafts period pottery but do not limit myself specifically to that time period.

I have 20+ years experience buying, selling and identifying American Art Pottery both on the web, to private clientele and in a brick and mortar shop in Massachusetts.

Masters degree in Education.