Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Charlotte Chair Company

Top View of Hooked Rug Chair
Top View of Hooked Rug  

Tag from bottom of chair
Tag from bottom of cha  
When we purchased an old boarding house, there were numerous antiques and collectibles, but the three chairs that have intrigued us the most were from the Charlotte Chair Company.  I am including a picture of one of the chairs.  We have 2 of these chairs, as well as a matching captain chair that has side arms.  Do you have any information about these and what they might sell for or should be insured for?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At first look one would think these were transitional Empire to Victorian chairs.  In style they are but since the Charlotte chair company started in 1912 they would be reproduction chairs of the earlier period.  This does not make them better or worse, just not period chairs.

The good news is that they have not been subjected to the usage of the additional 50-60 years.  A fair retail in shop price, cleaned up and waxed and in good strong sturdy condition would be 250/350.

Many dealers and shops sell these as 1860s chairs, perhaps due to lack of experience since it is a common and understandable mistake.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971