Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Empire? Vanity and Tel Stand

Vanity and Tel Stand
Vanity and Tel Stand  

I think I have antique reproductions? (Telephone Stand and Vanity).  The Vanity drawer joints are dovetailed.  However the finish was sprayed on.   A metal drawer stop (tombstone) created a shadow in the stain spray when it was applied.  Tiny dots of the stain can be seen on either side of the stop.

The Vanity and Telephone Stand have similar numbering silk screened on them.  The Telephone Stand also has a triangular decal, reading “Quality, Utility, Economy, & Empire (I think)

Because a local used furniture store will only give me $45 for the Vanity I'm considering donating it to a local thrift shop benefiting a hospital.  I would like to get an idea of the value of the the Vanity and the Telephone Stand for them and for myself.

Thank you for your time.

Mark - Your two pieces are from the late 1920s. The book "American Manufactured Furniture" by Don Fredgant, Schiffer Publishing, has several similar examples. It is a  compilation of manufacturer’s promotional material to retailers for the model year 1929. It can be found on  at

The book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books, also has two virtually identical vanities from the late 1920s. It also is available on Amazon.

The label probably belongs to Empire Case Goods of Jamestown, NY.

The vanity would sell at auction in the $150 range and the table in $25 area.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida