Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Empire? Vanity and Tel Stand

Question
Vanity and Tel Stand
Vanity and Tel Stand  

Decal
Decal  
Hello,

I think I have antique reproductions? (Telephone Stand and Vanity).  The Vanity drawer joints are dovetailed.  However the finish was sprayed on.   A metal drawer stop (tombstone) created a shadow in the stain spray when it was applied.  Tiny dots of the stain can be seen on either side of the stop.

The Vanity and Telephone Stand have similar numbering silk screened on them.  The Telephone Stand also has a triangular decal, reading “Quality, Utility, Economy, & Empire (I think)

Because a local used furniture store will only give me $45 for the Vanity I'm considering donating it to a local thrift shop benefiting a hospital.  I would like to get an idea of the value of the the Vanity and the Telephone Stand for them and for myself.

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Mark - Your two pieces are from the late 1920s. The book "American Manufactured Furniture" by Don Fredgant, Schiffer Publishing, has several similar examples. It is a  compilation of manufacturer’s promotional material to retailers for the model year 1929. It can be found on Amazon.com  at http://www.amazon.com/American-Manufactured-Furniture-Don-Fredgant/dp/0764300598

The book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books, also has two virtually identical vanities from the late 1920s. It also is available on Amazon.

The label probably belongs to Empire Case Goods of Jamestown, NY.

The vanity would sell at auction in the $150 range and the table in $25 area.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor