Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hoosier table and chairs

Question
chair
chair  

table corner
table corner  
Fred,
You mentioned in a previous response that Hoosier also made these "lift a leaf" tables and chairs in the 30's in the Art Moderne style. I believe this is what I have, the Hoosier metal tag is still affixed underneath. I bought breakfast room set (4 chairs) 13 years ago at a Salvation Army. They originally wanted $300.00 for it but after 30 days lowered it to 150.00 You are the first place online I've found any mention of this set.  I have no plans to get rid of it but would like to what it's worth and where I might find an ad or catalog information about it.

Answer
Vincent - The only place I have seen an ad for the Lift a Leaf table is a reprint of a 1931 Hoosier ad shown in the Philip D. Kennedy book "Hoosier Cabinets". The book is available on Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Cabinets-Philip-D-Kennedy/dp/0962283118/ref=sr_1_1

However, the table and chars in that ad are not the same style as yours. The chairs are Windsor chairs and the table has turned legs. I believe your set is later than that 1931 set.

I can't find any sales of comparable sets so I can't give you a definite value. My guess would be the set would sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor