Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hoosier table and chairs

table corner
table corner  
You mentioned in a previous response that Hoosier also made these "lift a leaf" tables and chairs in the 30's in the Art Moderne style. I believe this is what I have, the Hoosier metal tag is still affixed underneath. I bought breakfast room set (4 chairs) 13 years ago at a Salvation Army. They originally wanted $300.00 for it but after 30 days lowered it to 150.00 You are the first place online I've found any mention of this set.  I have no plans to get rid of it but would like to what it's worth and where I might find an ad or catalog information about it.

Vincent - The only place I have seen an ad for the Lift a Leaf table is a reprint of a 1931 Hoosier ad shown in the Philip D. Kennedy book "Hoosier Cabinets". The book is available on

However, the table and chars in that ad are not the same style as yours. The chairs are Windsor chairs and the table has turned legs. I believe your set is later than that 1931 set.

I can't find any sales of comparable sets so I can't give you a definite value. My guess would be the set would sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida