Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Label identification

Question
Trunk label
Trunk label  
Hi, I just purchased what appears to be a Saratoga Steamer trunk but I'm having a hard time identifying the label that is on the inside of the trunk.  Are you familiar with this label?  If so, what could you tell me about it!
Thank you so much it's greatly appreciated!

Answer
Balmoral label
Balmoral label  

Duluth label
Duluth label  
Hello Samantha,

Based on research I've done in the past, that trademark emblem with the alligator with a bag pulling a trunk was used by a trunk company with the name Balmoral.  But it was also used by the Duluth Minnesota trunk company, which of course is right on Lake Superior not far from Ontario, Canada, so there may have been some connection or ownership by the Canadian trunk company. I've seen labels identical to yours on trunks made in the early 1900's and I'm attaching a picture of one that I believe was an earlier version with the name Balmoral. I also have a picture of the one used by the Duluth Trunk Company which also shows the same picture of the alligator pulling the trunk.  I have not been able to find more information on the Balmoral name, but you may have better chances of finding something in Canada about that.  
By the way, the term steamer trunk was used only for the short flat top or nearly flat top trunks which were designed to store under bunks on steamships.  Steamer trunks were made by most trunk companies between about 1880 to the 1920's. A Saratoga trunk is a totally different style, make large with a high round top. Over the years as people did more travel by ship, the name steamer trunk began to be used by people for all types of trunks, but in the trunk maker catalogs it was only one style of the low trunks.  I hope the information helps.

Marvin ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller