Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Lane Cedar Chest

Lane Cedar Chest
Lane Cedar Chest  

Lane Cedar Chest
Lane Cedar Chest  

I was wondering what the age of this Lane cedar chest is and approximately how much it is worth - as is or if I have it refinished.

Thank you.

i looked all over my eamils trying to find the full view picture and realized it was posted here.....

if this is a lane chest, they generally have the serial number we cannot find.  Lane says they have one but they also say sometimes they dont--

i see that this one does not have the push button lock, most lane chests do have the push button lock, all i have seen do.  what is important about that is this--they are inherently deadly--if a child or animal gets inside a lane push button lock chest they cannot get out, it latch when the lid is closed.  all lane chests are pressure tested and are fairly air tight with the copper weather stripping around the top and the pressure testing plug in the center of the bottom.  Not saying all Lane is not good, they are, but they did recall locks for decades back to give a replacement after a few tragedies.

all being said, judging from the style of your chest, whether it is Lane or not is unimportant, it appears to be from the late 1920s early 1930s.  clean and in good condition both structurally and visually it would sell in a shop at 350.

thanks for bearing with me on the emails!!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971