Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox Maple Desk

I have a desk that was taken out of my grandmothers home. The label on it says Maddox Furniture, pattern 1090. I have attached a picture too. Do you know any history behind it and whats its value is? thank you

Aaron - The desk is a reproduction of a Chippendale style desk from the late 18th century. Your desk is of fairly recent production, probably in the 1970s. The back is stapled on. It is not an antique and has no antique value. It is simply a well made desk and would sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida