Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox Table Company

I recently purchased this table/desk and would appreciate any information you can give me regarding age, purpose and value.  There is a printed paper label on the bottom from Maddox Table Company Jamestown, NY. with the picture or a bull or ox.  Stamped on the label is Kent Furniture Co. Petersburg, Va.  and hand written is the number 1007.  It measures 28" by 48" with a single drawer with brass pulls and an oval decoration affixed in center of drawer.  The extreme bottom pieces on all 4 legs are not original.

Mary - Your piece would have been used as a personal desk. The William and Mary style tear drop drawer pulls are not original. It appears to be made of mahogany and probably was made in the 1950s.

As you note the leg terminals are obviously not original. You can determine if they are additions to the legs or replacements for damaged portions by measuring the height. The original desk surface height was 30 inches. If the table is taller than that they are additions. If it still measures around 30 inches they are replacements for damaged legs.

The desk would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida