Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mersman Table Dating

Mersman Table
Mersman Table  
Hello Mr. Taylor:

We just obtained a Mersman table and I'm wondering how old it is. I'm guessing it's no later than the early 1920s but really not sure. I attached a photo here and will send more photos to you in a separate email.

I found some photos of Mersman tables on the web but none that looked like this table.

Also, if you could estimate the value that would also be helpful.

Thanks very much.

Ken B

Ken - Thanks for the extra photos. Your table, called an occasional table, is model # 4448 1/2. The highest model numbers in the 1929 model year were in the low 4000s according to my 1929 Mersman catalog. They pick up in 1935 (my next catalog) in the 4300-4400 range and above so I believe your table was made in the early to mid 1930s.

The top is made of stump cut walnut veneer. Stump cut or butt cut walnut was the most decorative veneer used in the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s when your table was made. Stump cut veneer is cut from the stump of a walnut tree below ground level where the grain pattern is very confused and erratic. The central medallion on the skirt is walnut burl veneer. The rest of the table is made of secondary wood, probably gum.

The table would sell at auction in the $75-$100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida