Collectibles-General (Antiques)/morris rocking chair

Morris rocker
Morris rocker  

We have recently purchased a Morris Rocker chair.  It is in good condition as far as springs and original hardware although it does not have cushions on it. It does have the Binghamton, NY label on it under the arm of the chair. It may have been refinished at sometime, though, as you say, not expertly.  We cannot find this particular type of rocker on any of the sites. We would like to ask your opinion of it and what it may be worth as far as what you can see.  We can provide more pics if needed.

Thank you for your time,

ANSWER: picture of the base please, from the front and underneath.  

front base
front base  

QUESTION: Here is the additional pictures of front base and underneath. Thank you

i have never had the opportunity to purchase one of the morris or morris style platform rockers.  this was made around 1910-15 and would have an in shop price, after cleaning and waxing, and having proper cushions made of 850-1100 minimum.  price is a function of condition.  Better condition better price.

The label was used from 1890 to 1920 but sources differ a bit in the date of usage.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971