Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old steamer trunk lock

Question
I have an older steamer trunk. The lock has a horseshoe with an s inside it under that is a small star,under that are the letters Dep. Under the keyhole is a number 533. Any idea how I can get this open without paying alot of money, or getting a key for it?

Answer
Helen,

I've seen those locks before and they were made in Europe and used on trunks from England, Germany, and France. The number is the key code, but I don't know of anyone who has a reference to be able to look those up and make a duplicate key. Those keys are a different size than most of the American made trunk lock keys.  There is a man in Boston that has a large collection of trunk lock keys and others, who may possibly be able to help and his name is Micheal Gallagher.  You can find his contact information by looking up IslandTrunkShop online.   Good luck.
Marvin Miller

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller