Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rockford Cabinet Co. Secretary

Question
Rockford Cabinet Co. Secretary
Rockford Cabinet Co. S  
I just picked this up at a rummage sale yesterday and was curious for more information.  It says it is from the Rockford Cabinet Co. Attached is a picture.  Please let me know any other information needed.  Thanks!

Answer
Jessi - Rockford Cabinet Co was part of the great furniture industry in Rockford, IL in the 1920s and 1930s. It was driven by the surge of Scandinavian immigrant craftsmen who settled in the area around the turn of the century.

Your cabinet is a bookcase secretary from the 1930s. The style is a typical Depression era mix of a number of elements, for example the feet are Chippendale and the drawer pulls are William and Mary. The wood grill over the glass is called a muntin and was used to simulate the original small pieces of wood that held individual panes of glass in the doors of 18th century cabinets.

I can't tell from the photo (too dark) if the wood is mahogany or walnut, probably walnut veneer from that period.

In good condition it would sell at auction in the $100-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor