Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocking chair

Grandfather rocking chair
Grandfather rocking ch  

Grandfather rocking chair
Grandfather rocking ch  
Hello Mr Taylor, I am hoping you will help me uncover the mystery of my grandfathers rocking chair. It appears to be a black stenciled arrowback Hitchcock  style rocker. Although it is unsigned, it does have the numbers 71836 on the underside of the seat. It is 44 inches in height, 24 inches in width, and 19 inches in depth. I would really like to restore it, but am afraid that it would be a foolish mistake. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  My grandfather always said it was worth a lot of money, but then again, he was born in 1901, so everything was worth a lot of money to him.
Thanks for your time,

Sharron - Your rocker is a 20th century factory made chair. It is not a Hitchcock chair. It appears to be from the 1960s or 1970s when the "Early American" style of interior decorating was popular. While it may have great sentimental value, it is not an antique and no value will be lost by restoration. The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value.

You should be able to find appropriate stencils online.

Good luck. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida