Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocking chair

Question
Stamp
Stamp  

Rocking chair
Rocking chair  
My grandparents have had this rocking chair for awile and I was wondering how old it was and if it had and value. The chair is in great condition and solid and a great chair. It has the Nichols and stone co. stamp on the bottom. I have sent 2 images that I hope helps tell the age. Thank you

Answer
Stephen - Your rocker is a Windsor chair. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat. The Windsor originated in England in the early to mid 18th century and was perfected in the American colonies in the 1770-1790 period.

The chair is made of birch by one of America's renowned chair makers. Here's some history of the company. http://www.nicholsandstone.com/OurStory.cfm

Your chair is from the late 1960s to mid 1970s. It was part of the "Early American" decorating scheme of the period. Nichols & Stone rockers are well made and have great longevity but so may were made they are not rare. Most like yours sell at auction in the $40-$50 range.

Enjoy the chair. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor