Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocking Chair

Question
Rocking Chair
Rocking Chair  
Just picked up this chair at a home auction.  Can't find out much about it online, but it appears to be a nice chair.  S Bent & Bros, 288,1082,133 are stamped on bottom.  Insignia says New Hampshire University 1923.

Answer
Rebecca - Your chair is a Windsor style rocker. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat.

Here is the answer to a question similar to yours that was published in the Bradenton, FL Herald in 2009.

"Your chair was made by the S Bent & Brothers, a furniture company established in 1867. They closed in 2000. At one time Gardner, Mass., was known as the “Chair Capitol of the World.” Other well-known furniture companies located there were Conant-Ball, Heywood-Wakefield and Baumritter, the company that became Ethan Allen.

S. Bent and Brothers was known for producing well-made, high-quality furniture. They specialized in the style known as “Colonial Revival.” The two most common primary woods are maple and ash stained to look like oak. S Bent & Brothers were known for their well-made chairs, especially the Windsor type. They also produced dining room tables and other types of household furnishings. From the number of chairs I found in auction results, S Bent and Brothers must have made a great many Alumni chairs for a wide range of colleges and universities."

Most Bent chairs sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor