Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Steamer Trunk

Question
Steamer Trunk
Steamer Trunk  

Steamer Trunk 2
Steamer Trunk 2  
I have an old steamer trunk that I got on Martha's Vineyard Island Mass. years ago and was wondering the age, name, value, etc. of the trunk. I have included a photo of it and the dimensions are: 36h X 21w X 23d

Thank you so much for any help/information you can give me!

Laura

Answer
Canvas Trunks
Canvas Trunks  

1920 trunk ad
1920 trunk ad  
Laura,

Your trunk is a style that was made from about 1910 until the mid 1920's with that type hardware. Those type metal slat clamps across the slats were made starting about 1910 and used for many years later. It appears that your trunk is or was canvas covered which was typical for these.  They were made by many trunk companies in various parts of the U.S.  They originally called these Dress Trunks or sometimes just Canvas covered trunks for men and women. They always had lift out trays inside and sometimes more than one. There were often no labels or markings from the maker since many of these were sold wholesale to large trunk or furniture stores that sold them retail. This was a very popular and common style trunk in the early 1900's. They were made in many sizes from about 28 inches up to 44 inches wide. I have several old trunk catalogs that show similar trunks since each company made them just a little bit differently than the others.  There is no way to tell which company made this trunk without a label on it.  I'm attaching a couple pictures from old catalogs that have similar trunks so you can see what they said about them.  Hope that helps.
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller