Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Thomasville Chair Factory Dining set

Dining table
Dining table  

I have acquired a dining set that has a tag saying THOMASVILLE CHAIR COMPANY, PITTSBURGH PA under the table. It appears as though there may have been numbers along with it but I cannot not see them or perhaps I am looking for something and hoping its there? :)
I have 5 chairs with this table and they are in excellent condition (only in my opinion) and have seats that look to have barely been sat in and have the vinyl covering on them.
This table, in my opinion is in GOOD condition only as I found where a piece of wood from the edging under the table appears to have been handled roughly and came off. I do believe a good woodsmith would easily be able to fix.  
It doesn't have the lovely apron along the sides of the table and it looks black upon first looking at it. (Too dark for my kitchen)
When I photograph, it does have a red cast to it. Red Mahogany?

Upon further inspection, it does appear the table top may have had a heavy handed artists ink-pen-thru-paper tracings and one spot where some kid clearly didn't get reprimanded for inking a small flower on it. The wood is so dark, you cannot see it unless you are really looking at the table (as well as the tracings are hard to see unless the light is cast a certain way)

I would like a background please. Yes I would like to sell it and since I don't know what something like this would cost to refinish I am not sure I would put out the money to do that. Maybe if it made a distinct difference in price.
Can you please give a range of price and the best way to achieve best price? I am no antique collector so I am completely ignorant in these matters but I think I may have stumbled onto a "little something".
Thanks in advance ! Frankie

a nice federal style set but unfortunately there were huge amounts of this classic style manufactured, even today.  Also, a set of 5 chairs hurts, chairs are sold in even numbers.

the table top is mahogany veneer, the base sweet gum as are the chairs, all stained with a mahogany dye to match all.

all that, if you are to sell it then do not refinish, you will not recover the cost of the refinishing.

selling as it sits you should get about 450-475 for the set.  500-525 if you had the other chair.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971