Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Thomasville Dining Room Set Info

Table and chairs
Table and chairs  

I have this older dining room set made by Thomasville Chair Company. I'm trying to determine the age and value. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Curtis - Your set was made in the late 1940s to mid 1950s. It is a Colonial Revival reproduction of Federal era furniture of the early 1800s. The chairs show a design by Thomas Sheraton and the drawer pulls were designed by George Hepplewhite. Both men were English designers whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. Hepplewhite is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.

The set is made of mahogany veneer, mahogany solids and secondary wood. Thomasville Chair Co became Thomasville Furniture Industries in 1961.

Sets like this are fairly common so condition is a big issue in value. Your set would sell at auction in the $500-$700 range. In a retail setting it most likely would be priced at $1,000-$1200.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida