Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Thomasville Dining Room Set Info

Question
Table and chairs
Table and chairs  

Hutch
Hutch  
Hello,
I have this older dining room set made by Thomasville Chair Company. I'm trying to determine the age and value. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Answer
Curtis - Your set was made in the late 1940s to mid 1950s. It is a Colonial Revival reproduction of Federal era furniture of the early 1800s. The chairs show a design by Thomas Sheraton and the drawer pulls were designed by George Hepplewhite. Both men were English designers whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. Hepplewhite is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.

The set is made of mahogany veneer, mahogany solids and secondary wood. Thomasville Chair Co became Thomasville Furniture Industries in 1961.

Sets like this are fairly common so condition is a big issue in value. Your set would sell at auction in the $500-$700 range. In a retail setting it most likely would be priced at $1,000-$1200.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor