Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Thomasville vintage dining set

I have a vintage, Thomasville dining set; can you tell me anything about it, when it was made, the material, and what it may be worth.

Jenine - Your set is from the Depression era of the 1930s. The style is part of the Colonial Revival period of American furniture when styles from our colonial past were reproduced. The style reproduced in your set, with the exception of the chair backs, the splats, is called Jacobean named for King James I of the early 17th century. The Latin term for James is Jacob. The style is readily identifiable by the large bulb turnings on the legs. It was popular in the American colonies in the late 17th and early 18th century.

The pierced splats of the chairs are from the Chippendale period of the mid to late 18th century. The table is called a draw leaf table because the leaves are drawn from below the top deck. This was one the earliest forms of the extension table, devised in the 16th century.

The set is made of various cuts of walnut veneer and solid secondary wood, probably gum stained to look like walnut. The front of the china cabinet and buffet, the table top and the chair splats are walnut veneer. Everything else is secondary wood.

Your set would sell at auction in the $500 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida