Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vanity & Dresser

Vanity & mirror
Vanity & mirror  

vanity portion
vanity portion  
Could you tell me how old this vanity & mirror is and the value? I have a matching 4 drawer dresser also.Wooden casters, no markings that I can find.
Thank you!

Susan - Your vanity and mirror are from the late 1920s to the mid 1930s. The mirrors will have a more precise date. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

In today's market your vanity would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range. I cna't give you an estimate on the dresser without seeing it.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida