Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vintage Trunk

Question
Cover
Cover  

Inside
Inside  
Good day Mr Miller, I bought an antique steamer trunk at an estate sale in Revelstoke(BC), Canada  and I'd like to get more information about it(age, value and history). The trunk dimensions are 32 X 17 X 19. The inside is lined with paper and the outside with canvas. The lock is from Eagle lock co. There is no label on the trunk itself but there is a Postage label From the Canadian pacific express dating from 1950.

Mathieu

Answer
1920 trunk
1920 trunk  

1920 Sears Ad
1920 Sears Ad  
Mathieu,

Your flat top canvas covered trunk is a style made by many U.S. and Canadian trunk companies from the 1890's until the late 1920's. There were many variations of these and many sizes and yours is a very typical size and style with the canvas covering and paper lining. Trunk locks were made by Eagle, Corbin, Yale, and several other lock companies for the trunk makers, but they never made trunks. Many of these trunks are found without a label so that is not unusual. It's nearly impossible to tell which company made most of these if there is no label present because most companies used the same generic hardware which they bought from large trunk hardware companies.  The metal clamps across the wood slats with the round bump on them were first used around 1910 and until about 1930, so I expect your trunk was made during those years. They made the same type of trunk for many years with very few changes and that is all confirmed by a number of old trunk catalogs I own from the 1890's to 1920's. I'm attaching a couple old catalog pages and ads so you can see some of the details they gave.  These were used by men and women and were common travel trunks. The flat top trunks are popular now and most people like to remove the canvas and refinish the trunk so it looks more like a piece of wooden furniture. The values vary some by area but these trunks in good unrestored condition with the interior tray normally sell in the range of about $100 to $250. They can often be bought for less in auctions or flea markets. I hope all that helps.  

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller