Collectibles-General (Antiques)/American Pottery

Hi, I am just beginning to collect American made pottery. My first purchase was from lonesomeville Pottery in Portland Oregon and I just bought a Bennett Welsh. I love Roseville pottery but here in Oregon it's hard to find. Do you recommend any others that are affordable and may be easier to find? Maybe something that will have value in the future?

That's a great question.  The first thing you need to do is create a saved search on ebay so you can get daily emails of what was listed the day before.  That will save you a lot of time.  You can also consider doing a google alert so that any time a new webpage gets created with your search terms you will be notified.  I can really only advise on the art pottery listed on my website.  I think a few potteries are overvalued, but I don't really see any as being bargains.  You want to collect something that you love and can look at every day and find pleasure in it.  If you start trying to make value purchases you will probably end up with a collection you hate.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

James Garrett

I can answer any questions about American art pottery produced between 1900 and 1930.

I have been a dealer and collector since 1974.

Emory University '74