Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Trunk

Cindi\'s Furniture
Cindi's Furniture  

Cindi\'s Furniture
Cindi's Furniture  
Hi Marvin, I am interested in learning about the history of this trunk and the approx value.  It has E B. McCormick identification on the inside and a removable shelf/tray with storage underneath.  Size is 28x17.5x15 deep.  There is a picture of a girl inside the trunk lid.  Thank you for your time!

1911 Lipscomb Trunk Company
1911 Lipscomb Trunk Co  

1920 Totty Trunk Co.
1920 Totty Trunk Co.  
Your trunk is a style that was called a flat top cross slat trunk and these were made from the mid 1880's and as late as about 1920. Most large trunk companies in the country made this type trunk because it was a popular style and therefore many of them were made. They were made in several sizes, from about 26 inches up to 36 inches. Most were lined with paper and nearly all had a lift out tray with at least one covered compartment. They were made with metal covering and also with canvas and paper covering. A few were made with leather covering on the center portions also. The most common are the metal covered and some have plain painted metal and other had fancier embossed metal panels. It was quite common for these to have a lithographed picture in the lid and those were printed by printing companies and sold the to the makers, so it doesn't help identify the trunk maker. Several lock companies made trunk locks of that style, from Eagle Lock Company, Corbin, Star Lock Works, and others. I believe that the information in this trunk for E. B. McCormick was not the maker of the trunk, but possibly the owner or some other card or label that was put in the trunk. I can't make out all of the printing on that label or ad and it looks like some brown paper is tacked over part of it. If I were you I would carefully remove the brown paper and see what is written under it. This does not look like a typical trunk maker's label and I don't have any information about a trunk maker with that name.
I'm attaching a couple old trunk catalog pages which show similar trunks, from 1911 and 1920. Each company made a wide range of trunk styles and sizes and so they won't look exactly like yours, but are a very similar type. You can see some of the details that they gave about their trunks in these catalogs.  I would estimate that your trunk was made from about 1900 to about 1915.  I hope this information is helpful.  

Marvin Miller

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.