Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique trunk

Antique trunk
Antique trunk  

Antique trunk
Antique trunk  
I was wanting to know history/age and general value of this trunk that I have. Picked up at a variety shop years ago for $100.00 in hopes of restoring it and have never made the time to do so. Label on front top of chest says "the TOTTY trunk" underneath writing is not able to be read. Thank you for your time to address my question. Lena

1920 Totty Trunks
1920 Totty Trunks  

1920 Totty Trunk Co.
1920 Totty Trunk Co.  
Your trunk was made by the Totty Trunk & Bag Company of Petersburg, VA and is one of several models of wardrobe trunks they made from about 1920 through the 1930's. Totty was one of about six trunk companies in Petersburg, VA, and the town claimed to make more trunks than another other city in the world. Seward Trunk company was also located there and they claimed to be the largest trunk maker in the world in the early 1900's. All of the companies there made these large wardrobe trunks with the drawers, hangers, etc. as these were very popular in the 1920's to the 1940's. It is very difficult to narrow down the age of the trunk unless it has some patent dates stamped on it, because they made similar models for many years using the same parts  Those drawbolt style latches for example were used from about 1920 until the 1940's and are still being used on some chests today. The wardrobe trunks were made in several sizes and styles and some were quite elaborate with interior desks, ironing boards, locking drawers, etc. etc. Most of these trunks including yours were covered in vulcanized fiber, which is a hard pressed fiber material, glued to a plywood body. The vulcanized fiber was very good for trunks because it held up very well and is waterproof. I am attaching a couple pictures from a 1920 Totty Trunks catalog so you can see some of the details they gave about them. Your trunk appears to be a typical style made by many companies, so therefore there are still many around and being sold which tends to keep the price down, unless it were something very unusual and in great condition. I actually get more emails and questions about the wardrobe trunks than any other style. These trunks can be harder to sell because of their large size and because they are very expensive to ship. These can also be rather difficult and costly to restore.  In it's present condition the average retail value is in the range of about $100 to $200.  

There is additional information about the history of Wardrobe trunks on my website, on the Showcase page. I also have a variety of antique trunk catalogs which cannot be found anywhere else, listed on the Research page of  I hope that helps you and best wishes.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.