Collectibles-General (Antiques)/B.P. John Chairs

BP John Chair
BP John Chair  

Made by Photo
Made by Photo  

I recently purchased a pair of B.P John wood chairs at a local thrift store.  I can't find much information online about the company, or how much the chairs might be worth.  From looking around I think the formal name of the company is Bruno Paul John Furniture, but I'm not really sure.  The markings on the chair with the name is a little blurry on the chair itself.  

Any information you could provide about the company, style, year and how much it might be worth would be very helpful.

Thanks so much in advance for your time and expertise!

Danielle - The label refers to the B. P. John Furniture Co of Portland, OR. Bruno Paul John was a German immigrant cabinetmaker who worked for the Doernbecher Furniture Co in Portland until he started his own business in 1891. The point where he opened his factory is now called John’s Landing.

B.P. John Furniture was mediocre quality and has no collector value. Your chairs are a modern design from the 1960s and modern weave cane backs. They would sell at auction in the $25 each range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida