Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cedar chests

I have two cedar chests. One is made by the Seaburg Manufacturing Co in Jamestown NY. The other is made by Lane Co. Inc out of Altavista VA. Can you give me any info on age and worth?

You have two very nice old chests.  There is some information available online about these companies, but it can sometimes be difficult to find information on the age of these chests. The style of the Lane chest is more common to find and is a style which many people now call a waterfall style. This is a wood veneer covered chest and Lane made many styles of these chests with various designs from different types of veneers. Yours appears to be a style that was most popular in the 1930's to 1940's. I typically see these sell in the range of about $300 to $500 in retail shops when they are in very good condition.  The Seaburg cedar chest is a style that is not found as often, especially with the turned legs and solid cedar construction. I believe this is also from the 1930's to 1940's but it is more difficult to be certain on these from pictures. You may want to have a knowledgeable antique dealer look at this so they can check the construction and help verify the age. I would say this one would have a little higher value, in the range of $500 to $600 if all in good condition, and maybe a little higher in some areas. Condition and rarity are always major factors to the value of antiques.

I hope this helps.

Marvin Miller

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.