Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Flip top spinet desk

Question
flip top spinet desk
flip top spinet desk  

flip top spinet desk
flip top spinet desk  
I would like to know the approximate age, value and manufacturer of this piece.  I was told it is very old, but I am not convinced.  It has a long drawer in the front with a pull out writing surface and 5 compartments of which the center one has a drawer. I am thinking of refinishing it, but didn't know if I should or not.

Answer
this is the customary spinet desk made in teh 1920s in style and form.

the legs should unscrew.

as to manufacturer; there were 5000 in operation so without a label, no one can tell you who or where.

in the condition shown it would sell in a store at 175, restored properly it would sell at 375.

if your intent is to sell it then just use a dark colored wax like Briwax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein