Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Flip top spinet desk

flip top spinet desk
flip top spinet desk  

flip top spinet desk
flip top spinet desk  
I would like to know the approximate age, value and manufacturer of this piece.  I was told it is very old, but I am not convinced.  It has a long drawer in the front with a pull out writing surface and 5 compartments of which the center one has a drawer. I am thinking of refinishing it, but didn't know if I should or not.

this is the customary spinet desk made in teh 1920s in style and form.

the legs should unscrew.

as to manufacturer; there were 5000 in operation so without a label, no one can tell you who or where.

in the condition shown it would sell in a store at 175, restored properly it would sell at 375.

if your intent is to sell it then just use a dark colored wax like Briwax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971