Collectibles-General (Antiques)/hall tree

Question
Hall tree
Hall tree  

Hall tree
Hall tree  
my son received this hall tree from his grandmother. Can you help us out and explain why the finish feels like plastic?? the piece has been in our family since 1970, any idea how old it is?

Answer
Pamela - The hall tree is from the turn of the 20th century - 1890-1910. It is made of quarter sawn white oak. It is part of the Golden Oak period of American furniture, 1880-1920. All of the "carving" is actually machine made decoration that has been applied to the surface secured with tiny nails.

The original finish would have been shellac which is an organic finish and tends to crackle and darken over time. That does not appear to be the case with this piece. It looks like the piece has been refinished or over coated with polyurethane. That would give a plastic appearance and feel.

Nice piece.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor