Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Late Grandmothers Antique Rocker...

Rocker (Frnt/Sde)
Rocker (Frnt/Sde)  

Rocker -Markings
Rocker -Markings  

I've got a rocking chair here from my grandmother who recently passed. I've been only able to identify that it's a platform rocker (by Googling & eBay comparisons), but not much else. I'd be grateful if you could help identify the chair, its’ approximate age or period, and possible origins.

Since I could only attach 2 here, I’ve sent additional pictures via eMail. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

sorry you felt that politeness was lacking.  i will try to do better.  Thank you

it is a platform carpet rocker.  wood appears to be cherry but might have some sweet gum, maple and/or beech.  this would be a common combination.

manufactured around 1885 but determining the manufacturer would not be possible without a label as there were 5000 companies in operation.

retail after recovering with the heavier customary covering it would sell retail in a shop at 400

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971