Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Rocking Chair

Close up view of top
Close up view of top  
Hi there,
I purchased this chair at a consignment store about 10 years ago, after having it finished the upholstering company told me the chair was very old and offered to just purchase the chair, I declined and kept it for the baby's room.  There is a note on the bottom of the chair that says, "This chair given to Cecelia Nelson Mary Haud 1977"
I am just wondering if the chair is a true antique and if you know what type it is?

Candice - The style of your chair is Rococo Revival from the middle of the 19th century. The style was an attempt to recreate the lavishness of the 18th century French court. The carving is a little shallow to be from the height of the period, 1850-1860, but it could be very well be from a slightly later date in the 19th century, 1880-1900.

The chair is technically a "bergere", a French term for an armchair with the arms enclosed underneath as yours are.

The most famous Rococo Revival rocker was the Lincoln rocker in which Pres Lincoln was sitting when he was assassinated. "Lincoln rocker" became a generic term for any rocker in that form like this one.
However, the Lincoln rocker was not a bergere but a "fauteuil" with open arms.
I do believe your chair is from the 19th century but not from the mid century but it would still be considered an antique. To be absolutely positive I would need to see more detailed photos but based on what I see here the chair is antique.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida