Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old wooden chair

Old wooden chair
Old wooden chair  

Chair with carving
Chair with carving  
I picked up this chair at a garage sale, loved the style, and the story the lady told me, sold me on it.  She said that her and her sister called it the "scary chair" because of the carvings.  It had been in their family for more than 40 years.  I believe the carvings were probably done by someone "bored" but I still would like to know more about the chair itself.  I believe it is a Taylor's Comfortable Chair based on the logo stamped on the back, but would like to know more about the era...and if the markings actually mean anything.  Was the chair designed with them or was this a previous owners idea of "art". I have more pictures of the carvings; on the arms of the chair there are carvings of branch's with thorns, alien with swirls in the top of the chair, an upside down triangle on the front of the seat. Thank you so much for any information you can share with me.

Dawn - The Taylor Chair Co of Bedford (Cleveland), OH is reportedly the oldest furniture maker in America still owned by the original family. "Taylor Comfortable Chair" was the trade name. Here are two sites with some history.

Your chair is a commercial chair made in the 1930s to late 1940s, probably made of birch or maple. The "art work" may be from its use in a secret society or it may just be "folk art." I am sure the design was added after the chair was purchased.

Chairs like this are quite common (without the art work of course) and have little collector's value, even in good condition.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida