Collectibles-General (Antiques)/one piece school desk

old school desk
old school desk  

school desk 2
school desk 2  
I recently purchased this desk and would like to know the age and value of it.  Almost all of the finish is gone from the writing surface.  It has a drawer located under the seat which I found to be unusual.  There are no manufacturer marks or name on it.  Will refinishing it decrease it's value?

after looking through about 100 photos and checking about the american seating company archives i believe your desk was made between 1915 with they started using tubular steel in desks and 1925/30 when the form of yours was being made with the flat stamped steel fronts and side.

take it apart, after taking several pictures, refinish metal and wood.  it will add value if done properly.

it will take a bit of researching to date this.  it falls into an odd catagory.  tubular steel legs, stamped metal for the case, the kicked out leg are all in between two distinct styles.  will take some time to find a picture as there isnt a lot of info available.  odd though because most of the small companies were bought by american seating co.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971