Collectibles-General (Antiques)/table

Sir;  I came across a small oval cherry table, about 2 ft high and 2 ft long, round paw-shaped feet. This table has a built in, slide out leaf on the end, what was it used for? Thank you for your time.. Jan

Jan - Your table is a Colonial Revival reproduction of an 18th century tea table except that the original tea table was very tall. When seated the top would be at about mouth level to facilitate drinking the tea without more risk of spill. Them slide out leaf functioned as a candle stand. Here is such a table.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida