Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Trunk

Question
Trunk
Trunk  

Top
Top  
I recently purchased a wooden trunk and I am trying to gather information about it such as age manufacturer etc on the decorative metal along top it says pat mar 1880 it is from what I have gathered called a hump back or dome style. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
1911 Lipscomb Trunk Company
1911 Lipscomb Trunk Co  

1920 Totty Trunk Co.
1920 Totty Trunk Co.  
Jessica,

The original names used for this style trunk were Cross Slat barrel top trunk and Round Top trunk with embossed metal covering. I have never seen the names hump back or dome top trunk in any old trunk catalogs but everyone seems to be using those names today. The style of the Cross Slatted trunk was patented on March 16, 1880 by Charles Taylor of Chicago. But the fancy embossed metal covering such as on yours was not developed until around 1888 and these trunks were made as late as 1920 in nearly the identical style. They were a very popular style so nearly every trunk company made these trunks for many years. Most were made in the 1890's and until about 1915. The original 1880 patent was assigned to a trunk hardware company in CT so the parts were sold to many trunk companies. By the early 1900's a couple dozen different patterns of the embossed metal were made and in a variety of color combinations. The wood slats were almost always made of elm and sometimes ash, but most people think they are oak. Most of these trunks were lined with paper and they always had a lift out tray, and sometimes more than one tray. The covered section was called the hat or bonnet compartment. Many companies bought the lithographed pictures from printing companies and put them in their trunks, so that was also fairly common.  These were made in many sizes and the most common ones are between 28 and 34 inches wide.  I am attaching a couple pages from old trunk catalogs which have similar trunks, one from 1911 and another from 1920. You can read some of the details they gave about their trunks.  I have a large collection of trunk catalogs from the 1870's through the 1920's and all trunk makers had a variety of trunk styles.  The Cross Slat trunks were made in round top and flat top models also, some with metal covering and some with canvas or paper covering. A few higher grade trunks were made with leather covering but those are harder to find in the cross slat trunks. Some companies put their labels on their trunks, but many of these are found without a label. That's possibly because many trunk makers sold their trunks wholesale to large retail stores and luggage and furniture stores that sold the trunks. Very few of these trunks were made with unique hardware that identify the trunk company.  
I hope this helps.   
Marvin Miller

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller