Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique cabinet

Question
Not sure if this is American made or not. Haven't found any info on it at all.  I believe it is Oak.  The bottom part is 35" high, 48" wide, and 20" deep. The top part is 41" high, and 48" wide.  There are key locks in the bottom doors and in the drawers.  Very detailed carvings of fruit and leaves.  2 shelves on the top part with spindles.  Can you please help me figure out what this might be?

Answer
Teresa - Your cabinet is an American made Rococo Revival style sideboard, circa 1860-1870. The Rococo Revival style of the mid 19th century is often seen as THE Victorian style because it lasted so long. It was an attempt to recreate the lavish style of the 18th century French court.
This was a dining room piece and the depiction of grain and fruit was a tribute to the provider of the meal in Victorian culture. Such depictions also frequently showed fish, deer and other game.

The great majority of these cabinets were made of walnut but some were made of other woods, primarily chestnut. I believe your cabinet is made of chestnut instead of oak. They are similar in grain and texture but oak was seldom used in this period.

Here is a similar (but not quite as elegant as yours) chestnut cabinet that sold at auction in June 2013 in New Orleans for $375.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/17952796_american-rococo-revival-chestnut-si

Here is another chestnut example that also sold in New Orleans in 2007 for $750.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4587152

Other similar chestnut examples sell in the $500 range while walnut examples sell in the $1,000 + range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor