Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique murphy bed hardware

Murphy Bed
Murphy Bed  

Murphy Bed Rope Bracket
Murphy Bed Rope Bracke  
I bought a 1800s folding murphy bed with a rope support for the mattress. The hardware to attach the ropes has been replaced with eye hooks and causes the mattress to sag. Can you show me what the original hardware looked like so I can replicate it?

William - Your bed is not truly a "Murphy" bed. It is one of the many examples of folding beds manufactured around the turn of the 20th century. Here is the link to one of my columns on the subject of Murphy beds.

The frame is typical of the Golden Oak period of American furniture 1880-1920. It is made of quarter sawn white oak with applied molding decorations.

It appears that this bed was never designed to be a rope bed. Instead it had a wire mattress that acted like a mat under the regular mattress. Examples can be seen here.  

Your bed probably had the example shown in the top left corner of this page or something similar. You can also see another example in my column referenced above. Unfortunately I do not know where to acquire such a mattress in today's market. Most people in your situation use sections of plywood cut to allow for the fold to form the mattress base.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida