Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bed

I was wondering if you could give me any information on this bed. I just purchased it today and the seller couldn't give me any specifics on it other then it is oak and was in one of the Buck Mansion guest rooms ( Vacaville, Ca). Not sure if that is correct or not but would like to know its possible age, value and any other information. The headboard has tulips carved into it and the footboard has tulips and a bow/ribbon placed inside of the flower pot.  I do not plan on selling it, we are planning to use this in our home. I have more pictures if you need then to help verify my questions. Thank you so much for taking time to help me!

ANSWER: need better picture of the footboard and a picture of the end of the side rail where it attaches into the foot or head

QUESTION: Here are the additional pictures you requested Please let me know if you need more...

ANSWER: i really do need a clear in focus picture of the footboard to see the surface condition and wood grain.  

pretty sure it is a european bed.

standing by for good footboard picture, sorry for the inconvenience

QUESTION: Here are 2 more pictures. The wood is dry and needs to be replenished. The 2 pictures are of the carvings on the footboard. Hope they help. Also if you can suggest anything to use on the wood to return the moisture please let me know :)

it is oak and it is european, a good bed from 1900-1910.  

this is a quick note which i will expand on later as i have to go to the shop right now.

as to drying, wood is never any drier that the atmosphere in which it lives.  there is NOTHING to put on the wood to replenish moisture.  Wood will acclimate to its surroundings.  That is just what happens.  it does not need replenishing. if the finish or coating has deteriorated there are something to do that will not completely remedy the situation but will help--with a deteriorated finish.  that would be to use toluene free Briwax in teh oak color and wax the bed, should take 2-3 hours to do properly.

USE NO OILS, they are non drying oils and only attract dust and other contaminants.

mor later

bed would sell at 650 in a shop here as shown.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971