Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cabinet bed

Cabinet bed
Cabinet bed  
QUESTION: I recently purchased this cabinet bed and was wondering if you can tell me the approximate age and value.  I can't find any markings on it, so am having a hard time researching it. It is in wonderful condition and I was wondering if you can tell from the picture what kind of wood it is. Thank you so much

ANSWER: The wood is oak and quarter sawn oak (tiger oak common name).  Called a murphy bed although many were not made by murphy.

looking at the picture i would say that the metal on the top cross piece are the legs when it is folded down.

You will find a lot of info online concerning murphy beds.

1890-1915 give or take a few years.

these are quite handy to have, would you post a picture of it opened?

QUESTION: I will post a picture with it opened real soon.  I thought that it was oak, but had some varying opinions. The metal "handles" are the feet when it is opened up.  I have not been able to find a picture with the same kind of these handles, so thought that might be a clue as to the maker.  Is there anyway you can put a value on it?  Or do you need the open picture?

the 'handles' most likely would have been made by another company, a foundry type business..  remember there were about 5000 furniture manufacturers and nearly that many operation at the time so determining a maker would only happen with a label or finding an identical item in a company catalog.  

After i see it opened i will be able to give you a market value.  only seeing the front severely limits my assessment.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971