Collectibles-General (Antiques)/cabinet bed

Question
Cabinet bed
Cabinet bed  
QUESTION: I recently purchased this cabinet bed and was wondering if you can tell me the approximate age and value.  I can't find any markings on it, so am having a hard time researching it. It is in wonderful condition and I was wondering if you can tell from the picture what kind of wood it is. Thank you so much

ANSWER: The wood is oak and quarter sawn oak (tiger oak common name).  Called a murphy bed although many were not made by murphy.

looking at the picture i would say that the metal on the top cross piece are the legs when it is folded down.

You will find a lot of info online concerning murphy beds.

1890-1915 give or take a few years.

these are quite handy to have, would you post a picture of it opened?

QUESTION: I will post a picture with it opened real soon.  I thought that it was oak, but had some varying opinions. The metal "handles" are the feet when it is opened up.  I have not been able to find a picture with the same kind of these handles, so thought that might be a clue as to the maker.  Is there anyway you can put a value on it?  Or do you need the open picture?

Answer
the 'handles' most likely would have been made by another company, a foundry type business..  remember there were about 5000 furniture manufacturers and nearly that many foundries.in operation at the time so determining a maker would only happen with a label or finding an identical item in a company catalog.  

After i see it opened i will be able to give you a market value.  only seeing the front severely limits my assessment.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein