Collectibles-General (Antiques)/furniture by John 1891

My mother has a dresser with a sticker that says built by John 1891 and wondered what she could sell it for. I will email you a picture to the address provided above. Thank you!

Erin - Bruno Paul John was a German immigrant cabinetmaker who worked for the Doernbecher Furniture Co in Portland, OR until he started his own business in 1891. The point where he opened his factory is now called John’s Landing. The company was in business through the Depression but I don’t know how much longer after that it lasted. B. P. John furniture is not especially valuable. The company was not noted for its construction techniques or its styles. Most of its work was typical Colonial Revival type furniture.   

Your mother's chest of drawers is made of ribbon striped mahogany veneer and secondary wood solids. It was made in the late teens to mid 1930s. In today's market it would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range in excellent condition.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the photo.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida