Collectibles-General (Antiques)/furniture by John 1891

Question
My mother has a dresser with a sticker that says built by John 1891 and wondered what she could sell it for. I will email you a picture to the address provided above. Thank you!

-Erin

Answer
Erin - Bruno Paul John was a German immigrant cabinetmaker who worked for the Doernbecher Furniture Co in Portland, OR until he started his own business in 1891. The point where he opened his factory is now called John’s Landing. The company was in business through the Depression but I don’t know how much longer after that it lasted. B. P. John furniture is not especially valuable. The company was not noted for its construction techniques or its styles. Most of its work was typical Colonial Revival type furniture.   

Your mother's chest of drawers is made of ribbon striped mahogany veneer and secondary wood solids. It was made in the late teens to mid 1930s. In today's market it would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range in excellent condition.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the photo.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor