Collectibles-General (Antiques)/old wood trunk

Question
Dans old trunk 1
Dans old trunk 1  

Dans old trunk 2
Dans old trunk 2  
I got this trunk in a storage auction with quite a few antiques, china etc... any idea of age, make or value? Any help would be appreciated.

Answer
Dan,

This chest is really some type of individually handmade tool chest, carpenter's or other tradesman's chest, rather than a travel trunk. The trunk companies did not make chests of this type and there is no hardware on it that can be traced or linked to any trunk company or other manufacturer. Trunk makers used many types of special hardware and corner clamps and braces, but they did not use screws to attach them. This chest has a mixture of screws and rivets or large head nails. It is very difficult to determine the true age of a chest like this, especially from pictures because of the generic hardware, but by the style of the hasp, handles and braces I would estimate that this was made sometime from the early to mid 1900's and a few pieces of the metal could have been added even later than that. Because of all of that it is also hard to put a value on items such as this. I have seen a variety of similar chests over the years in many places and typically the prices range from about $100 to $200. Cleaned up more or refinished and in a retail shop the price would probably be a little higher. It really depends on how someone would like to use it and how much they like it. That is really all I'm able to tell you about your chest.
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller