Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Tiger Oak Table

Table base
Table base  

Hi. My mother purchased a sliding table in Wisconsin in the 1970's. I've been told the wood is tiger oak, and I believe it is in the Arts and Crafts style, though I am not sure. It has 2 leaves that can be inserted. I am looking for more information about where and when it might have been made. The stamp on the bottom of the table says H.P. Co. 102 J6 (or possibly 102 16). The sliding mechanism was made my Watertown Slides and has the date June 13, 1899-Oct. 1, 1912 stamped on the slider. I haven't been able to find any more information about a company related to the initials H.P., so any information you could provide would be much appreciated!!

I also have more pictures, if necessary.

Leia - Your table is from the Golden Oak period. The Golden Oak period of American furniture ran from around 1880 to about 1920 and was concurrent with Arts & Crafts but was not part of it. Your table was made right around the turn of the century or slightly later. It was factory made, probably in the Midwest but I cannot match the initials to a company name.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida