Collectibles-General (Antiques)/trunk

Question
Can you tell me about a old trunk I was going to repurpose I started to try cleaning it has a brass plate Guthries trunk store Louisville Ky. A copper bottom,paper inside looks like it's wood covered with something as you can tell I know nothing about it. It has been painted several times,given to me I was cleaning it up and started sanding the wood slats then sanded plate I want to use it for my grandsons toys and side table

Answer
Guthries Label
Guthries Label  
Donna,

Guthries Trunk Store was in Louisville in the early 1900's and they sold many types of trunks and those made by a variety of trunk companies.  I have one nice hat trunk with the Guthrie's Trunk Store label but the trunk was made by the Hartmann Trunk company. There was also a Chilton, Guthrie Trunk Company in Louisville from the mid 1870s until about 1920 and Guthrie's Trunk Store sold some trunks from that company. But there were many trunk makers and even Louisville, KY had five good size trunk makers listed in the business directory of 1905.  Since they sold many types of trunks it would be very hard to tell you anything specific about your trunk without seeing some pictures of it. Some of the wood trunks were covered with canvas, and others with metal, paper, leather, and also a fiber material called vulcanized fiber. Most of the name plates are made of brass and it is best to clean them with fine steel wool or a cloth and polish rather than sanding them.  Many of the old trunks can make very nice side tables and storage trunks.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller