Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Desk

Question
Desk
Desk  

Bench
Bench  
This is a picture of my great grandmother's antique desk. I had it as part of a set with a bookcase and two dressers. I still have the bookcase but lost the dressers as a result of a hurricane (water damage).

I'm hoping to know if it has any value to restore it. My husband is ready to set it out at the curb ( we don't  use it), but I'd much rather get it in the hands of someone who will love it if it can be restored. I'm keeping the bookcase for sentimental value. I know nothing about it other than I believe it to be turn of the century.

Thoughts?

Answer
Tara - Your grandmother's desk or vanity (since it has matching bench) is not actually an antique. It is from the Depression era of the 1930s made of walnut veneer and secondary woods as best I can tell from the photo. It is more or less Federal style with Sheraton tapered reeded legs and drop bails. It has little to no retail or wholesale value, less than $100 but it surely has family sentimental value if you have no other heirlooms from your grandmother. The bench has a natural twisted rush seat in very poor condition and also has virtually no resale value, $25 or less.

Sorry to be so frank about the values. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor