Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique desk

QUESTION: Hi, I bought an antique desk and know nothing about it. It has octangular lets with metal ball feet. The front folds down to make a desk with a leather top. It has a glass front piece that protects an embroidered fabric, looks like silk and the center is a couple. The back fabric is very detailed and has gold thread weaved in, which is discolored in some places. there is a side drawer with a secret second draw. The knob on the drawer appears to be bone. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hello Michele,

Thank you for your query.

Are you able to take photos of this desk?  It does not sound like it has anything to do with sewing but to be 100% sure, I'd need to see photos please.

You can attach photos to the AllExpert format.

QUESTION: Hi, it will only let me attach one image at a time. It is not a sewing table.

Hello Michele,

I'm sorry but I am not able to assist you if the item has no connection to "sewing, needlework or the tools that go along with this."

Please resubmit your query to another expert and include the photo that you sent to me. Also include the dimensions along with  details about the cabinet.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Irene Schwall

I have been a collector of antique sewing tools and thimbles for over 30 years. I am also a dealer in this field and sell on eBay under the name -- serengeti2. I am NOT, and I repeat NOT an expert on antique or vintage domestic household sewing machines used for everyday home sewing. I can offer help when it comes to Toy or miniature collectible sewing machines ONLY.

See information provided above.

Thimble Collectors International
SCTC - Southern California Thimble Club
SDTC - San Diego Thimble Club
OTS - Ohio Thimble Seekers
Priscilla Nutmeggers - CT/MA/NH
Dorset Thimble Society - UK
Rund um den Fingerhut - Germany
Cyberthimble on Yahoo

I belong to Thimble Collectors International & I chair the committee 'Publishing/Grants' and oversee the research and publication of booklets relating to sewing tools and thimbles. I have also had articles published on needlework related topics.

See information provided above.