Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique trunk

Top of trunk
Top of trunk  
Hello, I just came into possession of this paper covered trunk and am interested in some historical details, age and approximate range of value. We would like to know what we can do to preserve it from any more damage, the paper is quite brittle, or if it would be better off with a collector who could properly care for it. Any information you can give us to educate us would be appreciated.  I can provide additional pics if necessary.

the hump back or dome top trunks like this were generally from 1880 to 1915/20.  many times the hardware will have a patent date on it.  that date will only refer to the date a patent was filed on the hardware but it gives a good start figuring the trunks would have been made from that date to 5 or 10 years later at most.

To preserve brittle and water damaged paper is a whole field in itself.  

if you would like to discuss by email we can do that.

as shown the trunk would sell around 100-150$ in a shop.  is the tray inside?

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971