Collectibles-General (Antiques)/appraisal and history

Question
front drawer
front drawer  

name plate
name plate  
I inherited a very heavily painted chest of drawers with matching mirror. I recently decided to strip the paint and see what was underneath and was surprised to find what I think is bird's eye maple and discovered that it originally had arms to hold the mirror on the chest. I was just wondering if you could give me an idea of value. If it is more than I am thinking I will have the piece professional finished otherwise I will continue myself. The veneer has only one chip in it, looking as if was professionally repaired, all the hardware is there but the arms for the mirror are missing. The piece is stamped with an inspectors mark from 1905. Thank you for your time and effort.

Answer
i need a full view picture, the label was used from 1903-1928.

it does like like birds eye maple.  the keyholes would have had an inserted escutcheon of brass that slightly outlined the hole.  shape of the front of the chest is called serpentine.

use the followup function to post picture of the mirror and the full view picture of the chest.

go ahead  and finish the stripping, with the hardware removed.  sanding lightly with 180 grit paper then stain the wood with minwax (goof proof) brush on wipe dry and off.  color is your choice but any light stain will look good.  make sure you wipe off all excess stain. next day coat, no polyurethane, please.  use shellac if you are familiar with its use.  if not spray on lacquer sanding sealer, 2-3 coats, rub with 32o no fil paper, then top coat with satin lacquer.  rub smooth and reacoat.  chests like this if in good condition and looking right sell at 600.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein