Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cavalier dresser / secretary

Cavalier dresser opened
Cavalier dresser opene  
Cavalier dresser closed
Cavalier dresser close  
QUESTION: I have scoured the internet looking for information on this dresser and coming up empty-handed!  I know it is a Cavalier as there is a metal tag inside the top drawer.  The bottom drawer is cedar but the large drawer above it is not.  The middle section opens out into a desk space with cubbies inside.  On the back of the chest there is a number - 9033-MAH 9704.  I guess I can only include more than 2 pics...

It's pretty beat up so I'm trying to find information on it before I work on getting it restored.  Anything you can tell me would be helpful!  I'm curious to know what it's worth though don't plan on selling it... just don't want to diminish it's value by restoring, if that makes sense.  I would also love information on repairing some damage to the wood on the bottom trim.  Thank you!

ANSWER: use the followup function and try to get some clearer pictures.  hard to see these.
take off one drawer pull and see if they have been changed, you should be able to tell by the outline of the pulls after removal.

clear in focus picture in full view open and closed and one of the damaged area you referred to.

QUESTION: Pulls do not appear to have been changed.  Hope these pics are better - stuck using my phone, just moved and can't find my camera!

Sending 2 pics now and will send the 3rd separately since it only allows 2!

to repair the missing wood at the corner:
there is a product called quick wood.  looks like a tootsie roll.  you cut off what you need then kneed it as it has the hardener inside the roll then you press it on or into the area to repair wait for it to dry and shape it with files and sandpaper.  you have to color it with artists colors as it will not take stain.  very hard and better lasting than any wood filler made.

actually i missed when i gave the first price, i forgot about the desk part.  this would be called a butlers desk patterned after the ones made in the early 1800s.  

properly restored 650-800.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971